Sunday 10 March 2019

February Challenge: Linen/linens

Well, hello! My favourite fabric, especially when it's a lovely, hot summer!

Our beautiful botanic gardens here in Wellington, NZ turned 150 this February, and we celebrated with a Victoria picnic. Friends were happy to join me in costume at the event...and as usual, I had nothing to wear. I actually literally mean Nothing To Wear, as I have no Victorian clothing at all, beyond the chemise and corset I made last year - yet to blog about.


In fact, I had been waiting for an excuse to purchase and sew the Fantail Skirt pattern by Scroop, and what better opportunity? On Leimomi's suggestion, I also purchased the Edwardian Blouse by Wearing History, as it's easy and quick to make up the basic form. So it's technically more an Edwardian costume than Victorian. Ok, I'll celebrate 110 years instead?

Wellington Botanic Gardens 150th Celebration


Now, the Fantail pattern claims that with careful piecing one can actually make it up using just 3 metres, rather than the full 5 metres recommended. I love a challenge, I was making the smallest size, and to be quite honest three metres sounded quite sufficient for a skirt made of gores. I decided to give it a try.

Either it was my piecing technique, my placing technique, or I just didn't hold my tongue right, but the piecing became rather extensive in the back panels! However I managed it and it looked lovely and cool for the scorching hot day. Sadly, the trip in the car resulted in a LOT of creases, but I know for future to take better care when seating myself!

Wellington Botanic Gardens 150th Celebration


There are further trims to add to the garment, after a bit more research. I will add some ribbon trim and belt tabs I think as I hate feeling the belt wasn't sitting right. Other than that, it was a lovely pattern to make, and so rewarding to be able to sew with a machine! Thanks Leimomi, for bringing your wonderful camera and teaching me how to pose! Well, attempting to.

1900 Gored Skirt in Linen

February challenge: Linen/Linens

Material: Linen 3m

Pattern: The Fantail Skirt #1701h by Scroop

Year: 1890-1910

Notions: Matching cotton thread, metal Hook and Eye, metal Press studs

How historically accurate is it: well, unless we go crazy here, I'd say 100%. I'm not going to worry about fabric widths and therefore cutting layout etc etc.

Hours to complete: 5 possibly

First worn: Wellington Botanic Gardens 150 year Victorian picnic.

Total Cost: Linen $60, thread $5, Hooks etc $5
$70 total approx..

Wellington Botanic Gardens 150th Celebration 
Wellington Botanic Gardens 150th Celebration


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!